Saturday, January 15, 2011

Friday January 14th, 2011
The rest of my birthday Wednesday was fun. We had pizza and cake with Paty’s friends (Miguel, Jisela, and her husband, can’t remember his name…). Around 12:30am Paty, Miguel, and I went to a discoteca. I thought that it was silly to go out on a Wednesday and that the club would be empty, but it was quite packed! The night life lives throughout the week because of foreigners in Cusco on vacation. I met people from the US, Argentina, and Chile, for example.

Yesterday in class I learned about how the Spanish language has mixed with the indigenous languages in South America. Here in Cusco many words used today are Quechua instead of Spanish. For example, I had already learned the words for scarf, sweater, jacket, avocado, pig, socks, and underwear, but here they don’t use the words I learned, they use the Quechua words, so I have to re-learn them! Just when I thought I knew how to say “Look at the pig wearing socks and underwear eating an avocado!” I have to start from square one again… ;)

4 comments:

  1. All this partying is making me tired. Time for a nap in my underwear with my socks eating an avocado.

    Doesn't Paty ever get tired? And how come Alberto doesn't dance too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! The Pruvian Laura likes to party during a school night lol. Glad it was fun. Can't wait to hear more of your explorations of the city!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetie,

    I'm happy that you're learning new words, but when you get back to the UP, I think you'll find lines about pigs and underwear very hard to work into a conversation.

    Love,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's kind of a strange thing. Paty is always tired (she works from 9am-9pm 6 days a week) but still seems to have energy to go out. I don't really understand it myself. And Alberto is 75 years old, but he did dance a bit at the wedding!

    Hoping to post more tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete